Evaluation of Nigella Sativa and Honey Combination for Treatment of kidney Stone: a Randomized, Placebo Controlled Clinical Trial
AbstractObjectives: The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of N. sativa with honey on treatment of Kidney stone.
Methods: A clinical trial was conducted on 42 patients who were referred to the urology clinic of Ganjavian Hospital, Dezful, Iran and were identified by a sonographist that they had kidney stones smaller than 6 mm, they were without hydronephrosis, and did not require medication. They were randomly assigned to control (n= 20) and treatment (n= 22) groups. 8 grams of NS and honey combination with one glass of warm water were given daily to the treatment group for one month. The control group did not receive medication. Both groups drank 6-8 glasses of water daily.
Results: The rate of stone expulsion in the treatment group was significantly higher than the control group (P value = 0.0001).
Conclusion: According to our results, it seems that NS with honey may have some beneficial effects in treatment of kidney Stone.
2. Tiselius HG. Epidemiology and medical management of stone disease. BJU international. 2003;91(8):758-67.
3. Devuyst O, Pirson Y. Genetics of hypercalciuric stone forming diseases. Kidney international. 2007;72(9):1065-72.
4. Fink HA, Wilt TJ, Eidman KE, Garimella PS, MacDonald R, Rutks IR, et al. Medical management to prevent recurrent nephrolithiasis in adults: a systematic review for an American College of Physicians Clinical Guideline. Annals of internal medicine. 2013;158(7):535-43.
5. Safarinejad MR. Adult urolithiasis in a population-based study in Iran: prevalence, incidence, and associated risk factors. Urological research. 2007;35(2):73-82.
6. Shah Arzani, M A. Mizanoteb. Researcher: Nasiri H, Qom: Sama Cultural Institute.1380 SH.159-160.
7. Aghili Shirazi, M H. Makhzan Al-Advia. edited by Ahmed Kabir et al. Hindustan, 1260; 557.
8. Shah Arzani, M A. Akbari Medicine.1st ed. Qom: Jalaluddin; 2008; 2: 825 - 845.
9. Ibn Sina, H. The Canon Of Medicine. Beirut: Arabic scientific Foundation. 1st ed 1426 AH; 2: 139.
10. Razi, M Z. Taghsim al-ellal. Edited by Sobhi Mahmud Hamami, Aleppo: Arab Sientific Foundation. 1412 AH; 755.
11. Ibn Sina, H. The Treatise on Colic (Qulanj) by Avicenna; Edited by Sobhi Mahmud Hamami, Aleppo: Arabic scientific Foundation. 1403 AH; 220.
12. Khoei A, Hadjzadeh Z, Parizady M. Ethanolic extract of nigella sativa L seeds on ethylene glycol-induced kidney calculi in rats. Urology journal. 2009;4(2):86-90.
13. Mohammadian N, Rahmani Z, Rassouli FBJUj. Effect of thymoquinone on ethylene glycol-induced kidney calculi in rats. 2008;5(3):149-55.
14. Bamosa AO, Ali BA, Sowayan S. Effect of oral ingestion Nigella sativa seeds on some blood parameters. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 1997;5:126-9.
15. Hayatdavoudi P, Rad AK, Rajaei Z, Hadjzadeh MA-R. Renal injury, nephrolithiasis and Nigella sativa: A mini review. Avicenna journal of phytomedicine. 2016;6(1):1.
16. Canayakin D, Bayir Y, Kilic Baygutalp N, Sezen Karaoglan E, Atmaca HT, Kocak Ozgeris FB, et al. Paracetamol-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress in rats: the protective role of Nigella sativa. Pharm Biol. 2016;54(10):2082-91.
17. Mohebbati R, Hosseini M, Haghshenas M, Nazariborun A, Beheshti F. Th e eff ects of Nigella Sativa extract on renal tissue oxidative damage during neonatal and juvenile growth in propylthiouracil-induced hypothyroid rats. Endocrine regulations. 2017;51(2):105-13.
18. Ghorbani A, Shahbazian H, Moradi L. Risk factors of renal stone in patients with recurrent nephrolithiasis: A case-control study. LIFE SCIENCE JOURNAL-ACTA ZHENGZHOU UNIVERSITY OVERSEAS EDITION. 2012;9(4):3038-43.
19. Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of IRAN. Honey: Specifications and test methods. 7th revision. 2013; Number 92.
20. Fatahi Moghadam Javad * HY, Fotohi Ghazvini Reza, Ghasem Nejad Mahmoud, Bakhshi Davood. . Evaluation of physicochemical and antioxidant properties of some commercial citrus varieties. Journal of Horticultural Sciences (Agricultural Sciences and Technology). 2011;Journal of Horticultural Sciences (Agricultural Sciences and Technology)(25( 2)):211 - 7.
21. Razi, M Z.The Book of Colic (Qulanj). Edited by Sobhi Mahmud Hamami, Aleppo: University of Aleppo. Arabic scientific Foundation. 1403 AD; 122.
22. Benhelima A, Kaid-Omar Z, Hemida H, Benmahdi T, Addou A. Nephroprotective and diuretic effect of Nigella sativa L seeds oil on lithiasic wistar rats. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines. 2016;13(6):204-14.
23. Bamosa AO, Kaatabi H, Lebdaa FM, Elq A, Al-Sultanb A. Effect of Nigella sativa seeds on the glycemic control of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2010;54(4):344-54.