Periodontal and chronic kidney diseases: A modifiable association
AbstractObjectives: The purpose of this study was to assess the relationship between periodontal diseases and CKD duration.
Methods: This descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted on referral CKD patients to a teaching hospital in 2017. Two instruments were used for data collection. The first one was a self-reported questionnaire regarding oral health status and patients’ behaviors. The second questionnaire was used for the clinical assessment of oral health status.
Results: Out of 192 patients, 46.9% were male and 53.1% female with a mean (SD) age of 51.9 (±15.1) years. The mean duration of CKD was 7.70 (±7.34) years. About 67.7% of patients experienced toothache in the past year. Also, 67.7% had gingival bleeding (BOP), 34.4% had Clinical Attachment Loss (CAL) > 4 mm, and over 50% of patients had a pocket depth (PD) > 4 mm. By controlling the patient’s age, a direct correlation was detected between the duration of CKD and DMFT index (r=0.64, P<0.001). Moreover, the prolongation of the disease period was detected in patients with CAL>4 mm (P=0.02). Likewise, a direct correlation was detected between the duration of CKD and the periodontal index (r=0.48, P<0.001).
Conclusion: Given the direct correlation between the periodontal conditions and duration of CKD, regular biannual dental visits are essential for CKD patients. All physicians are encouraged to include regular oral health checkups in the treatment protocol for CKD patients.
2. Rosansky, S. J. Renal function trajectory is more important than chronic kidney disease stage for managing patients with chronic kidney disease. Am J Nephrol 2012;36:1–10.
3. Khajehdehi P, Malekmakan L, Pakfetrat M, Roozbeh J, Sayadi M. Prevalence of chronic kidney disease and its contributing risk factors in southern Iran: a cross-sectional adult population-based study. Iran J Kidney Dis 2014;8:109-15.
4. Han SS, Shin N, Lee SM, Lee H, Kim DK, Kim YS. Correlation between periodontitis and chronic kidney disease in Korean adults. Kidney Res Clin Pract 2013;32:164-70.
5. Hakemi MS. Chronic kidney disease epidemiology. Iran J Kidney Dis 2014;8:261.
6. Kshirsagar AV, Moss KL, Elter JR, Beck JD, Offenbacher S, Falk RJ. Periodontal disease is associated with renal insufficiency in the Atherosclerosis Risk; In Communities (ARIC) study. Am J Kidney Dis 2005;45:650-57.
7. Fisher MA, Taylor GW, Shelton BJ, Jamerson KA, Rahman M, Ojo AO, et al. Periodontal disease and other nontraditional risk factors for CKD. Am J Kidney Dis 2008;51:45-52.
8. Grubbs V, Vittinghoff E, Beck JD, Kshirsagar AV, Wang W, Griswold ME, et al. Association Between Periodontal Disease and Kidney Function Decline in African Americans: The Jackson Heart Study. J Periodontol 2015;86:1126-32.
9. Armitage GC. Development of a classification system for periodontal diseases and conditions. Annals of periodontology 1999;4:1-6.
10. Arigbede AO, Babatope BO, Bamidele MK. Periodontitis and systemic diseases: A literature review. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2012;16:487-91.
11. Ricardo AC, Athavale A, Chen J, Hampole H, Garside D, Marucha P, et al. Periodontal disease, chronic kidney disease and mortality: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. BMC Nephrol 2015;16:97.
12. Butchibabu Kalakonda D, Koppolu P, Kusai Baroudi D, Mishra A. Periodontal systemic connections-novel associations-a review of the evidence with implications for medical practitioners. Int J Health Sci 2016;10:293-307.
13. Joshy G, Arora M, Korda RJ, Chalmers J, Banks E. Is poor oral health a risk marker for incident cardiovascular disease hospitalisation and all-cause mortality? Findings from 172 630 participants from the prospective 45 and Up Study. BMJ Open 2016; 6:e012386.
14. Broder HL, Tormeti D, Kurtz AL, Baah-Odoom D, Hill RM, Hirsch SM, et al. Type II diabetes and oral health: perceptions among adults with diabetes and oral/health care providers in Ghana. Community Dent Health 2014;31:158-62.
15. Jeffcoat M, Parry S, Sammel M, Clothier B, Catlin A, Macones G. Periodontal infection and preterm birth: successful periodontal therapy reduces the risk of preterm birth. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2011;118:250-6.
16. Haerian-Ardakani A, Eslami Z, Rashidi-Meibodi F, Haerian A, Dallalnejad P, Shekari M, et al. Relationship between maternal periodontal disease and low birth weight babies. Iran J Reprod Med 2013;11:625–30.
17. Esfahanian V, Sadighi Shamami MZ, Sadighi Shamami MH. Relationship Between Osteoporosis and Periodontal Disease: Review of the Literature. J Dent (Tehran) 2012;9:256–64.
18. Venkataraman A, Almas K. Rheumatoid Arthritis and Periodontal Disease. An Update. N Y State Dent J 2015;81:30-6.
19. Kim HD, Sim SJ, Moon JY, Hong YC, Han DH. Association between periodontitis and hemorrhagic stroke among Koreans: a case-control study. J Periodontol 2010;81:658-65.
20. Ruospo M, Palmer SC, Craig JC, Gentile G, Johnson DW, Ford PJ, et al. Prevalence and severity of oral disease in adults with chronic kidney disease: a systematic review of observational studies. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2014;29:364-75.
21. Kawar N, Gajendrareddy PK, Hart TC, Nouneh R, Maniar N, Alrayyes S. Periodontal disease for the primary care physician. Dis Mon 2011;57:174-83.
22. Brito F, Almeida S, Figueredo CM, Bregman R, Suassuna JH, Fischer RG. Extent and severity of chronic periodontitis in chronic kidney disease patients. J Periodontal Res 2012;47:426-30.
23. Craig RG. Interactions between chronic renal disease and periodontal disease. Oral Dis 2008;14:1-7.
24. Wahid A, Chaudhry S, Ehsan A, Butt S, Ali Khan A. Bidirectional Relationship between Chronic Kidney Disease & Periodontal Disease. Pak J Med Sci 2013;29:211-5.
25. Ausavarungnirun R, Wisetsin S, Rongkiettechakorn N, Chaichalermsak S, Udompol U, Rattanasompattikul M. Association of dental and periodontal disease with chronic kidney disease in patients of a single, tertiary care centre in Thailand. BMJ Open 2016;6: e011836.
26. Grubbs V, Vittinghoff E, Taylor G, Kritz-Silverstein D, Powe N, Bibbins-Domingo K, et al. The association of periodontal disease with kidney function decline: a longitudinal retrospective analysis of the MrOS dental study. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2016;31:466-72.
27. Ismail G, Dumitriu HT, Dumitriu AS, Ismail FB. Periodontal disease: a covert source of inflammation in chronic kidney disease patients. Int J Nephrol 2013;2013:1-6.
28. Ioannidou E, Hall Y, Swede H, Himmelfarb J. Periodontitis associated with chronic kidney disease among Mexican Americans. J Public Health Dent 2013;73:112-9.
29. Joseph R, Krishnan R, Narayan V. Higher prevalence of periodontal disease among patients with predialytic renal disease. Braz J Oral Sci 2009;8:14-8.
30. Khoshnevisan M.H, Ghasemianpour M, Samadzadeh H, Baez RJ. Oral health status and healthcare system in I.R. Iran. J Contemp Med Sci 2018;4:107-18.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.