The stature estimation from students’ forearm and hand length in Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
AbstractObjective: Anthropology is a science discuss about the human anthropometric features. It is used in many aspects such as archeology, rehabilitation, and legal medicine. The purpose of this study was to determine the stature from student’s forearm and hand length in Hamadan University of Medical Sciences.
Methods: For measurements, the forearm and hand length of 160 students were measured. The range of the sample ages were between 18-22 years, selected randomly. In this descriptive and analytical study, the cluster sampling method was used to select the subjects. For anthropometric measurements, we used metal and plastic tape, goniometer, caliper, and scale. The height and length of the forearm and hand were measured separately.
Results: The mean ± SD of the stature were 164.435±5.072 cm and 180.446±5.569 cm, in females and males respectively. The mean ± SD of the forearm length were 24.906±1.347 cm and 27.751±1.294 cm, in females and males respectively. The mean ± SD of hand length were 17.356±2.223 cm and 19.418±0.888 cm, in females and males respectively. Besides, there was a correlation between height and forearm length of all cases. Also, this correlation was seen for the stature and hand length.
Conclusion: According to our study, forearm and hand length have correlation with the stature, so they can be used as factors for stature estimation.
2. Navid S, Mokhtari T, Alizamir T, Arabkheradmand A, Hassanzadeh G. Determination of stature from upper arm length in medical students. Anatomical Sciences Journal. 2014;11(3):135-40.
3. Jabalameli M, Moradi A, Bagherifard A, Radi M, Mokhtari T. Evaluation of distal femoral rotational alignment with spiral CT scan before total knee arthroplasty (a study in Iranian population). Archives of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2016;4(2):122.
4. Poorhassan M, Mokhtari T, Navid S, Rezaei M, Sheikhazadi A, Mojaverrostami S, et al. Stature estimation from forearm length: an anthropological study in Iranian medical students. Journal of Contemporary Medical Sciences. 2017;3(11):270-2.
5. Bridge AL, Oxenham MF, Miszkiewicz JJ. Estimating stature using human forearm and leg anthropometric data in an Australian female sample. Australian Journal of Forensic Sciences. 2020;52(1):83-95.
6. Atamtürk D, Pelin C, Duyar İ. Estimation of human physique in forensic anthropological cases. Eurasian Journal of Anthropology. 2019;10(2):56-66.
7. Vignesh M, Mohanraj KG. Determination of sex using forearm–A morphometric study. Drug Invention Today. 2019;11(9).
8. Hassanzadeh S, Alemohammad ZB, Mokhtari T, Arabalidoosti F, Rezaei F. Correlation between craniofacial parameters and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in Iranian population. Iraq Medical Journal. 2019;3(2).
9. Ilayperuma I, Nanayakkara G, Palahepitiya N. Prediction of personal stature based on the hand length. Galle Medical Journal. 2009;14(1).
10. Singh B, Krishan K, Kaur K, Kanchan T. Stature estimation from different combinations of foot measurements using linear and multiple regression analysis in a North Indian male population. Journal of forensic and legal medicine. 2019;62:25-33.
11. Sanli SG, Kizilkanat ED, Boyan N, Ozsahin ET, Bozkir MG, Soames R, et al. Stature estimation based on hand length and foot length. Clinical Anatomy: The Official Journal of the American Association of Clinical Anatomists and the British Association of Clinical Anatomists. 2005;18(8):589-96.
12. Akhlaghi M, Hajibeygi M, Zamani N, Moradi B. Estimation of stature from upper limb anthropometry in Iranian population. Journal of forensic and legal medicine. 2012;19(5):280-4.
13. Sharma S, Peddawad R. Estimation of Stature and Gender from Biacromial Breadth Measurements in Adult Population of Bareilly. Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology. 2019;13(4):167-71.
14. Mohammed I, Mokhtari T, Ijaz S, Ngaski AA, Milanifard M, Hassanzadeh G. Anthropometric study of nasal index in Hausa ethnic population of northwestern Nigeria. Journal of Contemporary Medical Sciences. 2018;4(1).
15. McCluskey L, Lynskey S, Leung CK, Woodhouse D, Briffa K, Hopper D. Throwing velocity and jump height in female water polo players: Performance predictors. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2010;13(2):236-40.
16. Castellucci H, Viviani C, Arezes P, Molenbroek JF, Martínez M, Aparici V, et al. Applied anthropometry for common industrial settings design: Working and ideal manual handling heights. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2020;78:102963.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.