Iraqi Dentists' Risk-Based Restorative Treatment Decisions
AbstractObjective: The aim of the present study was to investigate the decision-making by Iraqi dentists concerning the use of restorations in the treatment of dental caries.
Methods: A cross-sectional study based on a self-administered questionnaire was conducted among 159 dentists who worked in public health sector in Baghdad during summer of 2016. A questionnaire which obtained information on age, attitude, knowledge and barriers, in addition to two scenarios designed to investigate dentists' restorative treatment threshold, was used. Paper patient cases (PPCs) were indicated high-risk (HR) and low-risk (LR) patients were also provided. Dentists were asked to point out at when they will start restoration of the teeth according to each PPC.
Results: After checking for completeness, 90 questionnaires remained for data analysis. For HR scenario: Dentists with medium and high barrier scores (74.2%), and those with low and medium preventive attitude (78.6%) showed the lower scores in restorative treatment threshold. In LR scenario, we found an interaction between age and other predictors. Dentists ≤40 years old made better preventive decisions.
Conclusion: The present study showed that age and good preventive attitude play an important role in making the restorative decision by dentists. Continuing education programs must be provided for Iraqi dentists to improve their preventive treatment decisions.
2. Fejerskov O, Nyvad B, Kidd E. Dental Caries: The Disease and its Clinical Management. Oxford, Wiley-Blackwell, 3rd ed., 2015:160-166.
3. Rechmann P, Doméjean S, Rechmann BMT, Kinsel R, Featherstone JDB. Approximal and occlusal carious lesions Restorative treatment decisions by California dentists. J Am Dent Assoc. 2016;147(5):328-338.
4. Baraba A, Domejean S, Juric H, Espelid I, Tveit AB, Anic I. Restorative treatment decisions of Croatian university teachers. Coll Antropol. 2012;36(4):1293-1299.
5. Tveit AB, Espelid I, Skodje F. Restorative treatment decisions on approximal caries in Norway. Int Dent J. 1999;49(3):165-172.
6. Innes NPT, Schwendicke F. Restorative Thresholds for Carious Lesions: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. J Dent Res. 2017;96(5):501-508.
7. Heaven TJ, Gordan V V, Litaker MS, Fellows JL, Brad Rindal D, Firestone AR, et al. Agreement among dentists' restorative treatment planning thresholds for primary occlusal caries, primary proximal caries, and existing restorations: findings from The National Dental Practice-Based Research Network. J Dent. 2013;41(8):718-725.
8. Riley JL, Gordan V V, Ajmo CT, Bockman H, Jackson MB, Gilbert GH, et al. Dentists' use of caries risk assessment and individualized caries prevention for their adult patients: findings from The Dental Practice-Based Research Network. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2011;39(6):564-573.
9. Matloob MH. Dental caries in Iraqi 12-year-olds and background fluoride exposure. Community Dent Health. 2015;32(3):163-169.
10. Khoshnevisan MH, Albujeer AN, Taher AA, Almahafdha A. Dental education in Iraq: issues, challenges and future. Journal of Contemporary Medical Sciences. 2017 Sep 26;3(11):260-3.
11. Albujeer AN, Taher A. Dental education and oral health service in Iraq. Iranian journal of public health. 2017 May 9;46(5):713-4.
12. Kakudate N, Sumida F, Matsumoto Y, Manabe K, Yokoyama Y, Gilbert GH, et al. Restorative treatment thresholds for proximal caries in dental PBRN. J Dent Res. 2012;91(12):1202-1208.
13. Aledhari FAA, Sargeran K, Gholami M, Shamshiri AR. Preventive Orientation of Iraqi Dentists in Baghdad in 2016. J Dent (Tehran). 2017;14(5):246–253.
14. Ghasemi H, Murtomaa H, Torabzadeh H, Vehkalahti MM. Knowledge of and attitudes towards preventive dental care among Iranian dentists. Eur J Dent. 2007;1(4):222-229.
15. Szklo M, Nieto J. Epidemiology: Beyond the Basics. Jones & Bartlett Learning, 4th ed., 2018:69-75.
16. Rechmann P, Doméjean S, Rechmann BMT, Kinsel R, Featherstone JDB. Approximal and occlusal carious lesions Restorative treatment decisions by California dentists. J Am Dent Assoc. 2016;147(5):328-38.
17. Sundberg H, Mejàre I, Espelid I, Tveit AB. Swedish dentists' decisions on preparation techniques and restorative materials. Acta Odontol Scand. 2018;58(3):135-41.
18. Khalaf ME, Alomari QD, Ngo H, Domjean S. Restorative treatment thresholds: Factors influencing the treatment thresholds and modalities of general dentists in Kuwait. Med Princ Pract. 2014;23(4):357-62.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.