Epidemiology Incidence and Mortality Worldwide Common cancers in males and Their Relationship with the Human Development Index (HDI): An Ecological Study Updated in the World
Incidence and Mortality Worldwide Common cancers in males and Human Development Index (HDI)
AbstractThis article provides a status report on the global burden of common cancers in male in worldwide using the GLOBOCAN 2018 estimates of cancer incidence and mortality.
Based on the results of cancer records in 2018, 9456418 cases of malignancy were recorded in males, with cancer (1368524 cases, 14.5 %), prostat cancer (1276106 cases, 13.5%), colorectal cancer(1026215 cases, 10.9%), stomach cancer(683754 cases, 7.2%) and liver cancer (596574 caces, 6.3%) were the five most common cancers in men worledwide. the total of deaths due to cancer in human in 2018 is 5385640. the five cases of death due to cancer in men worldwide are lung cancer (1184947 case, 22%), liver (548375 cases, 2.10%), stumach cancer (513555 cases, 9.5%), colorectal cancer (484224 case, 9%) and prostat cancer (358989 cases, 7.7 %). our resulth showed that there was a positive correlation between the incidence of lung cancer ( r= 0.629, p<0.0001), prostat cancer (r= 0.534, p<0.0001), colorectal cancer (r=0.745, p<0.0001) and stomach cancer (r=0.268, p<0.0001) with HDI index, while there was no significant relationship between liver cancer and the HDI (r=0.079, p>0.05).
the results also showed that there was a positive and significant correlation between mortality from lung cancer (r=0.632, p<0.0001) and colorectal (r=0.627, p<0.0001) with HDI, wereas this correlation was negative for prostate cancer (r=-0.187, p<0.05).
1. Ciobanu LG, Ferrari AJ, Erskine HE, Santomauro DF, Charlson FJ, Leung J, et al. The prevalence and burden of mental and substance use disorders in Australia: Findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 2018; 12(11):e317.
2. Mohebbi E, Nahvijou A, Hadji M, Rashidian H, Seyyedsalehi MS, Nemati S, et al. Iran Cancer Statistics in 2012 and projection of cancer incidence by 2035. Basic & Clinical Cancer Research. 2018;9(3):e235.
3. Goodarzi E Khazaei Z, Moayed L, Adineh H, Sohrabivafa M, Darvishi I, Dehghani S. Epidemiology and population attributable fraction of melanoma to ultraviolet radiation in Asia: an ecological study. WCRJ. 2018;5(2):e1114.
4. Zargani A, Nasiri M, Hekmat K, Abbaspour Z, Vahabi S. A Survey on the Relationship between Religiosity and Quality of Life in Patients with Breast Cancer: A Study in Iranian Muslims. Asia-Pacific Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2018;5(2):e217.
5. Vaisy A, Lotfinejad S, Zhian F. Relationship between utrine cervical carcinoma and oral contraceptives. Journal of Gorgan University of Medical Sciences. 2012;14(3):e258.
6. Öberg M, Jaakkola MS, Woodward A, Peruga A, Prüss-Ustün A. Worldwide burden of disease from exposure to second-hand smoke: a retrospective analysis of data from 192 countries. The Lancet. 2011;377(9760):139-46.
7. Stewart B, Wild CP. World cancer report 2014. Health. 2017; 15(3):e856.
8. Khazaei S, Mansori K, Soheylizad M, Gholamaliee B, Shadmani FK, Khazaei Z, et al. Epidemiology of lung cancer in Iran: sex difference and geographical distribution. Middle East Journal of Cancer. 2017;8(4):223-8.
9. Bagnardi V, Blangiardo M, La Vecchia C, Corrao G. A meta-analysis of alcohol drinking and cancer risk. British journal of cancer. 2001;85(11):e1700.
10. Mirzaei M, Sharifnia G, Khazaei Z, Sadeghi E, Fallahzadeh H, Namayandeh SM. Prevalence of general obesity and central adiposity and its related factors in adult population of Yazd. SSU_Journals. 2017;25(9):736-47.
11. Nassehinia H, Kiani M, Khazaei Z, Torabi H, Sohrabivafa M, Beiranvand R, et al. Comparing Efficiency of Rice Washing and Soaking Processes in Reducing the Amount of Aflatoxin B1. Iranian Journal of Health, Safety & Environment. 2017;5(1):938-4.
12. Norouzirad R, Khazaei Z, Mousavi M, Adineh HA, Hoghooghi M, Khabazkhoob M, et al. Epidemiology of common cancers in Dezful county, southwest of Iran. Immunopathologia Persa. 2017;4(1):e369.
13. Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin 2018; 6: 394-424
14. GLOBOCAN 2018. Available from: http://www.gco.iarc.fr/today/datasources-methods. [Last accessed on 2018 Jan 17].
15. Goodarzi E, Moslem A, Feizhadad H, Jarrahi AM, Adineh HA, Sohrabivafa M, et al. Epidemiology, incidence and mortality of thyroid cancer and their relationship with the human development index in the world: An ecology study in 2018. Advances in Human Biology. 2019;9(2):e162.
16. Bray F, Jemal A, Grey N, Ferlay J, Forman D. Global cancer transitions according to the Human Development Index (2008–2030): a population-based study. The lancet oncology. 2012;13(8):790-801.
17. Khazaei S, Rezaeian S, Khazaei Z, Molaeipoor L, Nematollahi S, Lak P, et al. National Breast cancer mortality and incidence rates according to the human development index: an ecological study. Advances in Breast Cancer Research. 2016;5(01):e30.
18. Programme UND. Human Development Report 2016. http://hdr.undp.org/en [accessed January 2018].
19. Khazaei Z, Ghorat F, Jarrahi A, Adineh H, Sohrabivafa M, Goodarzi E. Global incidence and mortality of skin cancer by histological subtype and its relationship with the human development index(HDI):An ecology study in 2018. World Cancer Research Journal. 2019;6(2):e13.
20. Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C, et al. GLOBOCAN 2012 v1. 0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. 2013; 12(7);e2563.
21. Fidler MM, Soerjomataram I, Bray F. A global view on cancer incidence and national levels of the human development index. International journal of cancer. 2016;139(11):2436-46.
22. Arnold M, Sierra MS, Laversanne M, Soerjomataram I, Jemal A, Bray F. Global patterns and trends in colorectal cancer incidence and mortality. Gut. 2017;66(4):683-91.
23. Zabaleta J. Multifactorial etiology of gastric cancer. Cancer Epigenetics: Springer; 2012. p. 411-35.
24. Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, Ferlay J, Ward E, Forman D. Global cancer statistics. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. 2011;61(2):69-90.
25. Khazaei Z, Jarrahi AM, Momenabadi V, Ghorat F, Adineh H, Sohrabivafa M, et al. Global cancer statistics 2018: global estimate of incidence and mortality worldwide stomach cancer and their relationship with the human development index (HDI). World Cancer Research Journal. 2019;6:9.
26. IRAVANI S. Gastric cancer as a multifactorial disease. 2013; 12(9):e256.
27. Brenner H, Rothenbacher D, Arndt V. Epidemiology of stomach cancer. Cancer Epidemiology: Springer; 2009. p. 467-77.
28. Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C, Rebelo M, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. International journal of cancer. 2015;136(5):359-86.
29. Wong MC, Jiang JY, Goggins WB, Liang M, Fang Y, Fung FD, et al. International incidence and mortality trends of liver cancer: a global profile. Scientific reports. 2017;7(3):e45846.
30. Goodarzi E, Ghorat F, Jarrahi AM, Adineh H, Sohrabivafa M, Khazaei Z. Global incidence and mortality of liver cancer and its relationship with the human development index (HDI): An ecology study in 2018. World Cancer Research Journal.2019;6(2);e1255
31. Moradi G, Goodarzi E, Khazaei Z. Prevalence of Hepatitis B and C in prisons worldwide: A meta-analysis during the years 2005-2015. Biomedical Research and Therapy. 2018;5(4):2235-51.
32. Karami K, Cheraghi M, Amori N, Pedram M, Sobhani A. Common cancers in Khuzestan province, south west of Iran, during 2005-2011. Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention: APJCP. 2014;15(21):9475-8.
33. Amori N, Aghajani M, Asgarian F, Jazayeri M. Epidemiology and trend of common cancers in Iran (2004–2008). European journal of cancer care. 2017;26(5):e318.
34. Soheylizad M, Khazaei S, Khazaei S, Rezaeian S. Relation between lung cancer incidence and mortality rates with human development index and its components: A global ecological study. Iranian Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2016;9(5):e256.
35. IWGotEoCRt H. Organization WH, Cancer IAfRo: Smokeless tobacco and some tobacco-specific N-nitrosamines, vol. 89. Lyon, France: World Health Organization. 2007;11(6):e896.
36. Sadeghi-Gandomani H, Yousefi M, Rahimi S, Yousefi S, Karimi-Rozveh A, Hosseini S, et al. The incidence, risk factors, and knowledge about the prostate cancer through worldwide and Iran. World Cancer Research Journal. 2017;4(4):1-8.
37. Priyadarshi V. Clinical Epidemiology of Carcinoma of Prostate: an Institutional Experience. Urol Nephrol Open Access J. Clinical Epidemiology of Carcinoma of Prostate: an Institutional Experience. 2016.;23(6):e158
38. Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, Forman D, Mathers C, Parkin DM. Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. International journal of cancer. 2010;127(12):2893-917.
39. Ferrari F, Reis MAM. Study of risk factors for gastric cancer by populational databases analysis. World Journal of Gastroenterology: WJG. 2013;19(48):e9383.
40. Liu Y, Arai A, Obayashi Y, Kanda K, Boostrom E, Lee RB, et al. Trends of gender gaps in life expectancy in J apan, 1947–2010: Associations with gender mortality ratio and a social development index. Geriatrics & gerontology international. 2013;13(3):792-7.
41. Coleman MP, Quaresma M, Berrino F, Lutz J-M, De Angelis R, Capocaccia R, et al. Cancer survival in five continents: a worldwide population-based study (CONCORD). The lancet oncology. 2008;9(8):730-56.
42. Jung K-W, Won Y-J, Kong H-J, Oh C-M, Shin A, Lee J-S. Survival of Korean adult cancer patients by stage at diagnosis, 2006-2010: national cancer registry study. Cancer research and treatment: official journal of Korean Cancer Association. 2013;45(3):e162.
43. Mallin K, Palis BE, Watroba N, Stewart AK, Walczak D, Singer J, et al. Completeness of American Cancer Registry Treatment Data: implications for quality of care research. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2013;216(3):428-37.
44. Sunkara V, Hébert JR. The colorectal cancer mortality‐to‐incidence ratio as an indicator of global cancer screening and care. Cancer. 2015;121(10):1563-9.
45. Zauber AG. The impact of screening on colorectal cancer mortality and incidence: has it really made a difference? Digestive diseases and sciences. 2015;60(3):681-91.
46. Fedirko V, Tramacere I, Bagnardi V, Rota M, Scotti L, Islami F, et al. Alcohol drinking and colorectal cancer risk: an overall and dose–response meta-analysis of published studies. Annals of oncology. 2011;22(9):1958-72.
47. Moskal A, Norat T, Ferrari P, Riboli E. Alcohol intake and colorectal cancer risk: A dose–response meta‐analysis of published cohort studies. International journal of cancer. 2007;120(3):664-71.
48. Bouvard V, Loomis D, Guyton KZ, Grosse Y, El Ghissassi F, Benbrahim-Tallaa L, et al. Carcinogenicity of consumption of red and processed meat. The Lancet Oncology. 2015;16(16):1599-600.
49. Huncharek M, Muscat J, Kupelnick B. Colorectal cancer risk and dietary intake of calcium, vitamin D, and dairy products: a meta-analysis of 26,335 cases from 60 observational studies. Nutrition and cancer. 2008;61(1):47-69.
50. Renehan AG, Tyson M, Egger M, Heller RF, Zwahlen M. Body-mass index and incidence of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. The Lancet. 2008;371(9612):569-78.
51. Food N. Physical activity, and the Prevention of Colorectal Cancer. Continuous Update Project Report: World Cancer Research Fund. American Institute for Cancer Research. 2011.;11(2):e368
52. Harriss D, Atkinson G, Batterham A, George K, Tim Cable N, Reilly T, et al. Lifestyle factors and colorectal cancer risk (2): a systematic review and meta‐analysis of associations with leisure‐time physical activity. Colorectal Disease. 2009;11(7):689-701.
53. Walter V, Jansen L, Hoffmeister M, Brenner H. Smoking and survival of colorectal cancer patients: systematic review and meta-analysis. Annals of Oncology. 2014;25(8):1517-25.
54. Botteri E, Iodice S, Bagnardi V, Raimondi S, Lowenfels AB, Maisonneuve P. Smoking and colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis. Jama. 2008;300(23):2765-78.
55. Liang PS, Chen TY, Giovannucci E. Cigarette smoking and colorectal cancer incidence and mortality: Systematic review and meta‐analysis. International journal of cancer. 2009;124(10):2406-15.
56. Ang TL, Fock KM. Clinical epidemiology of gastric cancer. Singapore medical journal. 2014;55(12):621.
57. Minami Y, Kawai M, Fujiya T, Suzuki M, Noguchi T, Yamanami H, et al. Family history, body mass index and survival in Japanese patients with stomach cancer: a prospective study. International journal of cancer. 2015;136(2):411-24.
58. Tsugane S, Sasazuki S. Diet and the risk of gastric cancer: review of epidemiological evidence. Gastric cancer. 2007;10(2):75-83.
59. Park B, Shin A, Park SK, Ko K-P, Ma SH, Lee E-H, et al. Ecological study for refrigerator use, salt, vegetable, and fruit intakes, and gastric cancer. Cancer causes & control. 2011;22(11):e1497.
60. Tsugane S. Primary prevention of gastric cancer. Nihon rinsho Japanese journal of clinical medicine. 2012;70(10):1720-5.