Nephroprotective effect of Curcumin (Curcuma Longa) in acute nephrotoxicity in Sprague-Dawley rats
AbstractObjective: The objective of the present study was to evaluate the nephroprotective effect of curcumin in gentamicin induced-nephrotoxicity. Methods: Thirty Male Sprague-Dawley rats were used which divided into three groups, Group1 (n=10): Rats treated with distilled water plus normal saline for 12 days. Group2 (n=10): Rats treated with distilled water plus gentamicin for 12 days. Group 3(n=10): Rats treated with curcumin plus Gentamicin for 12 days. Blood urea, serum creatinine, malondialdehyde (MDA), kidney injury molecule (KIM-1) and cystatin-c were measured in both control and experimental groups. Results: Rats treated with gentamicin showed nephrotoxicity as evidence by significant elevation in serum creatinine, blood urea, KIM-1, MDA, Cystatin-C sera levels. Conclusion: Curcumin produced significant nephroprotective effect in gentamicin induced-nephrotoxicity through modulation of oxidative stress and inflammatory biomarkers.
2. Moffett BS, Morris J, Galati M, Munoz FM, Arikan AA.(2018) Population Pharmacokinetic Analysis of Gentamicin in Pediatric Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. Ther Drug Monit.
3. Aly HAA, Hassan MH. Potential testicular toxicity of gentamicin in adult rats.Biochem Biophys Res Commun.2018; 497(1):362-367.
4. Moreira MA, Nascimento MA, Bozzo TA, Cintra A, da Silva SM, Dalboni MA, et al. Ascorbic acid reduces gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats through the control of reactive oxygen species. Clin Nutr. 2014; 33(2):296-301.
5. Nelson KM , Dahlin JL , Bisson J , Graham J , Pauli GF, Walters MA . The Essential Medicinal Chemistry of Curcumin. J Med Chem. 2017;60(5):1620-1637.
6. Lin, Y.G, Kunnumakkara A.B., Nair A, Merritt W.M, Han, L.Y, Armaiz-Pena G.N, et al. Curcumin inhibits tumor growth and angiogenesis in ovarian carcinoma by targeting the nuclear factor-κB pathway. Clin. Cancer Res. 2007;3423–3430.
7. Singh AP, Junemann A, Muthuraman A, Jaggi AS, Singh N, Grover K ., et al Animal models of acute renal failure. Pharmacol Rep;2012 64(1):31-44.
8. Teslariu O, Pasca AS, Mititelu-Tartau L, Schiriac CE, Gales C, Saftencu PM, Nechifor M.The protective effects of zinc in experimental gentamicin induced acute renal failure in rats;2016.
9. Abd-Elhamid TH, Elgamal DA, Ali SS, Ali FEM, Hassanein EHM, El-Shoura EAM.,et al Reno-protective effects of ursodeoxycholic acid against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity through modulation of NF-κB, eNOS and caspase-3 expressions. Cell Tissue Res. 2018 ;374(2):367-387.
10. Menon, V.P. Sudheer, A.R Antioxidant and anti-inﬂammatory properties of curcumin. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2007;595, 105–125.
11. Hajihashemi S, Hamidizad Z, Rahbari A, Ghanbari F, Motealeghi ZA. Effects of Cobalamin (Vitamin B12) on Gentamicin Induced Nephrotoxicity in Rat. Drug Res (Stuttg). 2017;67(12):710-718.
12. Luo QH, Chen ML, Sun FJ, Chen ZL, Li MY, Zeng W.et al KIM-1 and NGAL as biomarkers of nephrotoxicity induced by gentamicin in rats. Mol Cell Biochem. 2014;397(1-2):53-60.
13. Dudylina AL, Ivanova MV, Shumaev KB, Ruuge EK Superoxide Formation in Cardiac Mitochondria and Effect of Phenolic Antioxidants. Cell Biochem Biophys.2018; 2013-018-0857-2.
14. Trujillo J, Chirino YI, Molina-Jijón E, Andérica-Romero AC, Tapia E, Pedraza-Chaverrí J.Renoprotective effect of the antioxidant curcumin: Recent findings. Redox Biol.2013; 17;1:448-56.
15. Mercantepe F, Mercantepe T, Topcu A, Yılmaz A, Tumkaya L. Protective effects of amifostine, curcumin, and melatonin against cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2018;391(9):915-931.
16. Kim KS, Lim HJ, Lim JS, Son JY, Lee J, Lee BM, Chang SC, Kim HS. Curcumin ameliorates cadmium-induced nephrotoxicity in Sprague-Dawley rats. Food Chem Toxicol.2018; 114:34-40.
17. Wu J, Pan X, Fu H, Zheng Y, Dai Y, Yin Y ., et al Effect of curcumin on glycerol-induced acute kidney injury in rats. Sci Rep. 2017 ;(1):10114.
18. Ali BH,Al-Salam S, Al Suleimani Y, Al Kalbani J, Al Bahlani S, Ashique M ., et al Curcumin Ameliorates Kidney Function and Oxidative Stress in Experimental Chronic Kidney Disease. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol.2018;122(1):65-73.
19. Topcu-Tarladacalisir, Y., Sapmaz-Metin, M., & Karaca, T. (2016). Curcumin counteracts cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by preventing renal tubular cell apoptosis. Renal failure, 38(10), 1741-1748.