Estimation of Stature from Facial indices among Iranian medical students
AbstractObjective: Anthropometric data, particularly naso-facial dimensions, is important in sex determination, forensic medicine and plastic surgery. The aim of present study is to assess the facial indices, to classify the type of face and to determine the relation between stature and facial height and facial width among Iranian medical students.
Methods: This study was done on 200 medical students (100 males and 100 females), in the range of 18–30 years. Stature, facial height and facial width were measured by using a standard spreading caliper and facial index calculated for determination of facial type.
The linear regression used for examining the relationship between stature and facial length and facial width.
Results: The result of study showed that the mean and standard deviation of the facial index of males and female students were 87.53±8.81 and 89.25±10.09, respectively.
The facial index didn’t have statistically significant difference between two groups (P=0.202).
According to the results, the dominant type of facial shape in male students was mesoprosopic and in female students were europrosopic.
There was a correlation between stature and facial height (r =0.27, P=0.000) and facial width (r =0.54, P=0.000).
Conclusion: The data of present study can be beneficial in face reconstruction, clinical diagnosis and forensics applications.
2. Oladipo G, Fawehinmi H, Okoh P. Canthal indices of Urhobo and Itsekiri ethnic groups. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 2009;3(4):3093-6.
3. Golalipour M, Hosseinpour K. Estimation of the cranial capacity and brain weight of Iranian female newborns. European Journal of Anatomy. 2006;10(2):49.
4. Sakakibara H, Tong M, Matsushita K, Hirata M, Konishi Y, Suetsugu S. Cephalometric abnormalities in non‐obese and obese patients with obstructive sleep apnoea. European Respiratory Journal. 1999;13(2):403-10.
5. Will MJ, Ester MS, Ramirez SG, Tiner B, McAnear J, Epstein L. Comparison of cephalometric analysis with ethnicity in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep. 1995;18(10):873-5.
6. Martin R, Saller K. Lehrbuch der Anthropologie, Gustav Fisher Verkag. Stuttgart Ⅰ. 1957:429-547.
7. Kurnia C, Susiana S, Husin W. Facial indices in chinese ethnic students aged 20-22. Journal of Dentistry Indonesia. 2013;19(1):1-4.
8. Bolzan GdP, Souza JA, Boton LdM, Silva AMTd, Corrêa ECR. Facial type and head posture of nasal and mouth-breathing children. Jornal da Sociedade Brasileira de Fonoaudiologia. 2011;23(4):315-20.
9. Doni RPK, Vijayaraghavan V. A study on measurement and correlation of cephalic and facial indices in males of South Indian population. International Journal of Medical Research & Health Sciences. 2013;2(3):439-46.
10. Mohanty BB, Agrawal D, Mishra K, Samantsinghar P, Chinara PK. Estimation of height of an individual from forearm length on the population of Eastern India. Journal of Medical & Allied Sciences. 2013;3(2):72.
11. Singh S, Nair SK, Anjankar V, Bankwar V, Satpathy D, Malik Y. Regression equation for estimation of femur length in central Indians from inter-trochanteric crest. J Indian Acad Forensic Med. 2013;35:0971-3.
12. Gocha TP, Vercellotti G, McCormick LE, Van Deest TL. Formulae for Estimating Skeletal Height in Modern South‐East Asians. Journal of forensic sciences. 2013;58(5):1279-83.
13. Hepper NG, Black LF, Fowler WS. Relationships of Lung Volume to Height and Arm Span in Normal Subjects and in Patients with Spinal Deformity 1, 2. American Review of Respiratory Disease. 1965;91(3):356-62.
14. Saoemes R, Williams P, Bannister L, Berry M, Collins P, Dyson M, et al. Gray’s Anatomy in: Skeletal system. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, London. 1999:555-60.
15. JIT I, SINGH S. Estimation of stature from clavicles. The Indian journal of medical research. 1956;44(1):137.
16. Shah S, Koirala S, Khanal L. Variations in craniofacial anthropometry in 17-25 year-old adult population of Nepal. European journal of forensic sciences. 2014;1(1):5-8.
17. Shetti VR, Pai SR, Sneha G, Gupta C, Chethan P. Study of Prosopic (Facial) Index of Indian and Malaysian Students. International journal of Morphology. 2011;29(3).
18. Kumar M, Muzzafar Lone M. The Study of Facial Index among Haryanvi Adults. Int J Sci Res. 2013;2(9):51-3.
19. Wai MM, Thwin SS, Yesmin T, Ahmad A, Adnan AS, Hassan AA, et al. Nasofacial Anthropometric Study among University Students of Three Races in Malaysia. Advances in Anatomy. 2015;2015.
20. Sharma K, Khanal K, Mansur D. Variations in total facial index among students of Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences. Nepal Med Coll J. 2014;16(2-5):173-6.
21. Azizi M, Hassanzadeh G, Barbarestani M, Sadr M, Dehbashipour A, Alaghbandha N, et al. Comparative Anthropometric Analysis of Facial Dimensions and Types in Qazvin, Iran and DeraGhazi Khan, Pakistan. Anatomical Sciences Journal. 2014;11(3):119-26.
22. Jahanshahi M, Golalipour M, Heidari K. The effect of ethnicity on facial anthropometry in Northern Iran. Singapore medical journal. 2008;49(11):940.
23. Salve VM. A STUDY OF FACIAL (PROSOPIC) INDEX OF ANDHRA REGION (INDIA) STUDENTS. Novel Science International Journal of Medical Sciences. 2012;1(8).
24. Krishan K. Estimation of stature from cephalo-facial anthropometry in north Indian population. Forensic Science International. 2008;181(1):52. e1-. e6.
25. Balvir T, Deshpande J, Badwaik P, Rahule A, Kasote A, Bashir M. Estimation of stature from the lenth of clavicle in vidarbha region of maharashtra. International Journal of Biological & Medical Research. 2012;3(3):2254-6.
26. Moshkdanian G, Mahaki Zadeh S, Moghani Ghoroghi F, Mokhtari T, Hassanzadeh G. Estimation of Stature from the Anthropometric Measurement of Lower Limb in Iranian Adults. Anatomical Sciences Journal. 2014;11(3):149-54.
27. Poorhassan M, Mokhtari T, Navid S, Rezaei M, Sheikhazadi A, Mojaverrostami S, et al. Stature estimation from forearm length: an anthropological study in Iranian medical students. Journal of Contemporary Medical Sciences. 2017;3(11):270-2.
28. Mahakizadeh S, Moghani-Ghoroghi F, Moshkdanian G, Mokhtari T, Hassanzadeh G. The determination of correlation between stature and upper limb and hand measurements in Iranian adults. Forensic science international. 2016;260:27-30.
29. Krishan K, Kumar R. Determination of stature from cephalo-facial dimensions in a North Indian population. Legal medicine. 2007;9(3):128-33.
30. Sahni D, Sharma P, Kaur G, Aggarwal A. Estimation of stature from facial measurements in northwest Indians. Legal Medicine. 2010;12(1):23-7.
31. Agnihotri AK, Kachhwaha S, Googoolye K, Allock A. Estimation of stature from cephalo-facial dimensions by regression analysis in Indo-Mauritian population. Journal of forensic and legal medicine. 2011;18(4):167-72.
32. Wankhede KP, Kamdi NY, Parchand MP, Anjankar VP, Bardale RV. Estimation of stature from maxillo-facial anthropometry in a central Indian population. Journal of forensic dental sciences. 2012;4(1):34.
33. Akhlaghi M, Hajibeygi M, Zamani N, Moradi B. Estimation of stature from upper limb anthropometry in Iranian population. Journal of forensic and legal medicine. 2012;19(5):280-4.